I often advocate that artists work in various mediums to avoid creative blocks and depression and I want to share my fledgling efforts to give you both an easy starting point and demonstrate that no, you absolutely do not have to be perfect. In fact, it’s best to approach anything with an I know nothing attitude, so you’re already mentally primed to learn and grow.
I regularly practice on a concert ukulele and a 4-string bass and will occasionally play around with melodica and guitar.
I’m a trained mezzo soprano vocalist and did the competitive performance stuff when I was in school but ended up with chronic, severe acid reflux. I’ve recovered significantly over the last year but still have a lot of work to do to get back to where I was.
I will probably mostly post ukulele chords since I tend to start with that instrument when I’m working on or writing a song.
The following are mostly just links to the bare-bones docs I use in my day-to-day practice. My goal is to eventually get blog posts up with notation, video, & etc. If you have questions about anything, please let me know.
Ukulele chords for covers, modified or by ear
These do not come from official tabs or sheet music & may not be perfect but work for me in day-to-day practice. If you have suggestions, please let me know.
- Def Leppard “Miss You in a Heartbeat”
- Bruce Dickinson “Navigate the Seas of the Sun”
- Eisley “I wasn’t prepared”
- Fastbacks “Just Say”
- The Posies “Coming Right Along”
- Savage Garden “Gunning Down Romance”
- Soundgarden “Tighter and Tighter”
- Temple of the Dog “Call me a dog”
Ukulele chords for original songs
I mean, I can’t even begin explain most of these. It’s obvious that I have a particular sense of humor & have taken in-jokes reeeeall far.
However, “Siren Song” is semi-serious. I wrote the first version years ago but it was too emo/folky for the band I was in at the time. I still enjoy playing it.
- “Bitter Ballad” Melhab
- “Fumigator Folk” Jean Jean Nicotine and the Smoky Buttholes
- “Light from a Greenish Star” The Atomic Picklemen
- “E Pluribus Unicorn” The Atomic Picklemen
- “Siren Song” Cliffs of Fall